Escargot Tart with Asiago Cheese
Puff pastry tarts with sautéed jumbo snails and strips of leek baked in a cream, egg and asiago cheese mixture and served with a buttery wine sauce.
1/2 of a 17.5-ounce package (1 sheet) frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 1/4 cups whipping cream - divided use
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup grated Wisconsin Asiago cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 (7-ounce) cans jumbo snails, drained, rinsed
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced parsley
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 shallot, minced
- Roll pastry to 11-inch square; cut into quarters. Fit into four lightly greased 4 1/2-inch tart pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 5 minutes; set aside.
- Cut white part of leek into strips. Sauté in 1 tablespoon butter. Set aside.
- Combine 1 cup whipping cream, eggs, cheese, salt and black pepper; mix well. Set aside.
- Sauté snails, garlic and parsley in 2 tablespoons butter for 5 minutes. Place tart shells on cookie sheet. Fill each with 6 snails, 1/4 leek mixture and 1/4 cream mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 20 to 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, combine wine and shallots in saucepan; simmer until wine has evaporated. Add 1/4 cup whipping cream; cook over high heat until cream reduces by half, about 3 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in 3/4 cup butter, cut into pats. Strain; season to taste.
- To serve, place tart on salad plate; surround with 3 tablespoons butter mixture.
Makes 4 servings.
Variation: Substitute ungreased 9-inch pie plate for tart pans. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.