Florida Shrimp Spring Rolls
Recipe courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.
1 pound medium Florida shrimp, peeled and deveined
14 teaspoon cornstarch
8 tablespoons soy sauce - divided use
8 tablespoons canola oil - divided use
1 cup Florida green onions, chopped
2/3 cup Florida carrots, grated
3 cups Florida cabbage, chopped
1 bag bean sprouts, chopped
2 teaspoons grated fresh Florida gingerroot
12 large egg roll wrappers
Prepared sweet and sour sauce (optional)
- Cut raw shrimp into small pieces. In a medium bowl, combine cornstarch and 4 tablespoon soy sauce; then add shrimp. Mix well and set aside.
- In a wok or large sauté pan, heat 4 tablespoon oil over high heat; stir-fry the shrimp, onion, carrots, cabbage, bean sprouts, and ginger in oil until crisp-tender; cool slightly. Transfer mixture to colander or pan to drain and cool.
- When cooled, spoon 1/4 cup of shrimp mixture on the bottom third of each wrapper. Fold bottom edge over filling; fold sides over filling toward center overlapping slightly. Moisten top edge with water; roll up tightly to seal. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.
- Deep fry rolls in 3-inch of very hot oil (375°F) until golden brown; drain on paper towels.
- Serve with sweet and sour sauce.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 196; Calories From Fat: 88; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 61mg; Total Carbs: 16g; Protein: 12g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.