Fried Squid with Feta Cheese, Almond and Arugula Pesto
Fried squid rings served with a pesto of feta cheese, almonds and arugula. Recipe by Chef Ulrich Koberstein.
8 squid (about 8 ounces), cleaned, cut into rings
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup (4 ounces) almonds, peeled and toasted
1/2 cup arugula leaves, chopped and firmly packed
1 clove garlic, peeled
1/2 tablespoon paprika
3/4 cup (6 ounces) olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup (6 ounces) Wisconsin Carr Valley Feta or other Wisconsin cow’s milk Feta Cheese, crumbled
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 large eggs, beaten
2 cups dried bread crumbs
4 cups vegetable oil
- Marinate squid rings in buttermilk, refrigerated, for 2 to 6 hours.
- In blender or food processor, purée almonds, arugula, garlic and paprika into coarse paste.
- Slowly add half the olive oil while processing. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Slowly add remaining olive oil and the lemon juice.
- Scrape pesto into bowl; mix in crumbled Feta cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Pat squid rings dry on paper towels. Dip rings in flour, then egg, coating thoroughly, and then in bread crumbs.
- Heat vegetable oil in large saucepan to 375°F (190°C).
- Gently place breaded squid rings in oil; fry until golden brown, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Do not overcook or squid will become tough. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Squeeze a little lemon juice over squid; season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with pesto on the side.
Make 8 appetizer servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.