Gorgonzola and Red Pepper Chutney Toasts
Thinly sliced toasted bread topped with tasty red pepper chutney and a slice of gorgonzola cheese.
1 thin, crusty loaf bread, sliced into 32 (1/2-inch) rounds
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 red peppers, diced
1/4 cup shallots, diced
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons basil, chopped
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
8 ounces Wisconsin Creamy Gorgonzola cheese, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet, and bake 8 to 10 minutes until toasted; cool.
- In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add red peppers and shallots; cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add vinegar, brown sugar, cherries, basil, salt and pepper and simmer an additional 10 minutes.
- Top each toast with 1 tablespoon red pepper chutney and a slice of Wisconsin Gorgonzola cheese.
Makes 32 appetizer servings.
Variation: Substitute 8 ounces Wisconsin Blue cheese, sliced or crumbled, in place of Wisconsin Creamy Gorgonzola cheese.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.