Grilled Scallop and Watermelon Kabobs
Recipe courtesy of the National Watermelon Promotion Board.
12 sea scallops
4 cups boiling vegetable or chicken broth
24 (1x1-inch) watermelon cubes
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- Cut the scallops into halves across the diameter to create half-moon shapes. Place them in a heatproof casserole dish in a single layer.
- Pour the boiling clear broth over the scallops and let them poach for 5 minutes.
- Drain and cool the scallops.
- On each skewer alternate 1 half-moon scallop, then 2 watermelon cubes, then another half-moon scallop.
- Mix together the soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and ginger and brush the kebabs as they are grilled over a medium hot grill for about 90 seconds per side turning once. Serve warm.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Watermelon Promotion Board.