Mini Sausage Tarts
Won ton wrappers form the crust for these tasty mini sausage tarts.
1 pound fresh bulk sausage
1 cup chopped sweet onions
8 ounces button mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
1/3 cup roasted red peppers, drained
4 ounces crumbled plain Feta cheese
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable cooking spray
1 (12-ounce) package won ton wrappers
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook sausage until brown, breaking the meat into small pieces. Remove from pan with a slotted pan and drain sausage pieces well on paper towels.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon pan drippings, discard remaining pan drippings. Sauté onions in the reserved 1 tablespoon pan drippings until soft. Add mushrooms and continue to cook and stir until all liquid evaporates.
- Remove to a bowl and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sausage, bread crumbs, red peppers, Feta cheese, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix gently, but well.
- Lightly spray miniature muffin pans with vegetable cooking spray. Press won ton wrappers into each well. Flute edges.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and fill each shell with sausage mixture.
- Continue to bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 7 to 9 minutes or until they are browned.
Makes 40 to 48 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy National Hot Dog And Sausage Council.