Mushroom Pine Nut Pinwheels
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council.
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed and rolled into a 14x11-inch rectangle
1 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese - divided use
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Drizzle the olive oil in a medium sauté pan and heat the pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are wilted. Then add the white wine and cook until it's almost entirely evaporated.
- Scoop the mushrooms into a small food processor and add the pine nuts. Pulse just until the mushrooms and nuts are coarsely ground, but not completely smooth.
- Spread the mixture on the thawed puff pastry leaving a 1-inch border around the edges of the pastry. Sprinkle half of the grated Parmesan on top of the mushroom mixture.
- Working carefully, beginning at the long end, roll up the puff pastry like a jelly roll. Cut the roll into 12 equal portions. Place cut side down onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake pinwheels for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until they are lightly golden and baked through. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle the remaining Parmesan on top of the pinwheels. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes Serve.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Mushroom Council.