Oat-Nut Snack Crunch
A sweet and crunchy cereal and peanut snack mix.
1 (16-ounce) box oat squares cereal
1 1/2 cups roasted Spanish peanuts
8 tablespoons butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
4 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
- Heat oven to 250°F (120°C). Line 2 cookie sheets with wax paper.
- In 13 x 9-inch baking pan, combine oatmeal cereal squares and peanuts.
- In small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil. Stir well. Boil 2 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla and baking soda; mix well.
- Immediately pour over cereal mixture; stir with wooden spoon to evenly coat all pieces with syrup mixture.
- Bake 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes. Transfer to prepared cookie sheets, spreading mixture into even layer. Cool completely.
- Break into bite-size pieces. Store tightly covered at room temperature.
Makes 10 cups.