Orange Hoisin Spiced Chicken Wings
Recipe courtesy of the National Chicken Council.
2 tablespoons Five Spice powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Orange Hoisin Sauce:
1 (8-ounce) bottle hoisin sauce
1/2 cup orange juice concentrate, thawed
1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoon orange zest
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
3 cups canola oil, for frying
3 pounds chicken wings (about 12 to 14)
- For Spice Mix: In a gallon-size plastic bag with zip top closure, combine all ingredients. Seal and shake well to blend; set aside.
- For Orange Hoisin Sauce: Combine in small saucepan over medium-high heat the hoisin sauce, orange juice concentrate, sesame seed oil, rice vinegar and chili powder. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in zest and cilantro. Cover and set aside.
- In a deep saucepan or stockpot, add oil and heat to 350°F (175°C).
- While oil is heating, add chicken wings to plastic bag with spice mixture. Shake until all wings are coated. Remove wings from bag. Fry in small batches in hot oil for 6 to 8 minutes, or until skin is crispy.
- Remove wings from oil and place on paper towels to drain. After final batch of wings is cooked, place wings in large mixing bowl. Pour Orange Hoisin Sauce over wings; toss well to coat.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.