Parmesan Cheese Roll
This Parmesan cheese roll makes an elegant appetizer or first course.
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
6 large eggs, separated
2/3 cup (3 ounces) grated Wisconsin Parmesan cheese
Mushroom Duxelles (recipe follows)
Tomato Sauce (recipe follows)
1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
1/2 cup butter
4 cups finely chopped mushrooms
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Line a 10x15 inch jelly roll pan with wax paper; butter pan and paper.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in saucepan over low heat; blend in flour; gradually add milk and beaten yolks; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Cool 5 minutes.
- Stir in cheese; fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 15 minutes.
- Loosen sides; invert pan onto towel. Carefully remove waxed paper. Cover with Mushroom Duxelles. Roll up, starting at narrow end, lifting towel while rolling. Place, seam side down, on platter; top with hot Tomato Sauce.
- For Mushroom Duxelles: Sauté shallots in butter; add remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat until mushrooms are soft and liquid has evaporated.
- For Tomato Sauce: Sauté onion in oil in 3 quart saucepan. Add tomatoes, sugar, garlic, parsley, basil, marjoram and thyme; simmer 1 hour or until thick. Push mixture through strainer. Season to taste.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.