Party Artichoke Spread with Blue Cheese
Serve this delightful artichoke and blue cheese spread with mild-flavored crackers, such as butter or water crackers.
Butter for greasing pan
3 tablespoons seasoned dry bread crumbs
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
2 cups (12 ounces) Wisconsin Blue Cheese, crumbled
1 1/3 cups dairy sour cream - divided use
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons butter
1 large shallot, minced
1 tablespoon EACH: minced fresh basil and fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons EACH: dried basil and oregano
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 cup chopped artichoke hearts, drained well
Quartered artichoke hearts for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Butter bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Refrigerate.
- Beat cream cheese in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Stir in blue cheese and 2/3 cup sour cream. Beat in eggs.
- Sauté shallot in butter until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir shallot into cheese mixture along with herbs and pepper. Fold in artichoke pieces. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Cool 10 minutes.
- Spread remaining sour cream over top. Garnish with artichoke quarters. Bake 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature on wire rack.
- Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- To serve, place on serving plate. Carefully run knife around outer edges; remove sides of pan.
Makes 14 to 16 appetizer servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.