Sauerbraten Chicken Wings
Recipe courtesy of the National Chicken Council.
3 cups water
3/4 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
2 bay leaves
9 whole peppercorns
5 whole cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 medium onion, diced
1 lemon, cut into eight wedges
4 pounds chicken wings, tips removed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup reserved marinade
1/2 cup chicken stock
4 tablespoons crushed ginger snap cookies
- For Marinade: Combine water, vinegars, bay leaf, peppercorns, cloves, salt, onion, and lemon in saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- Remove 1 cup marinade liquid (try not to get any solid pieces), cover, and reserve in refrigerator. Place wings in a glass dish and pour remaining marinade over. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray, or cover with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Remove wings from marinade (discard marinade), shaking a bit to remove any excess liquid. Place wings on baking sheet, sprinkle with the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and roast in oven for 40 minutes. Turn wings after 40 minutes. Return to oven and continue to roast for another 10 to 15 minutes or until wings are crispy and brown.
- Towards the end of cooking, melt butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Add flour to butter, stirring until flour begins to brown (should be golden brown in color), about 3 to 4 minutes. Slowly add the reserved 1 cup marinade and stock, whisking until smooth and slightly thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add gingersnaps, whisking until dissolved.
- When wings are cooked, remove from oven to a bowl or serving platter. Pour 1 cup of Glaze/Sauce over wings and toss. If desired, add remaining Glaze/Sauce (about 2/3 cup), or serve passed as dipping sauce with wings.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.