This recipe won Karen Gillham of Colorado Springs, Colorado Honorable Mention in the 1996 National Sausage Month Award-Winning Recipes contest.
2 (1-pound each) loaves of frozen bread dough
1 pound loose Italian sausage, cooked and drained
2 large eggs
2 heaping tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 (8-ounce) package shredded mozzarella
Marinara sauce for dipping (purchased or homemade)
- Roll bread dough out into a rectangular shape. Spread cooked and drained sausage onto each roll. Layer mozzarella and Parmesan over the sausage.
- Beat eggs and pour over the cheeses.
- Roll dough loaves up like jelly rolls and seal edges with water. Let rise for 30 minutes on a cookie sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Slice and serve with warm marinara sauce.
Makes 16 to 20 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy National Hot Dog And Sausage Council.