Impress your friends with this easy appetizer of stuffed portobello mushroom caps.
1/2 pound sirloin, cut into strips 1/8-inch thick and 2-inches long or 1/2 pound fully cooked steak strips or fully cooked pot roast, shredded
4 whole Portobello mushrooms
1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
2 green onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Clean mushrooms. Remove and save stems. Remove and discard gills.
- Brush mushroom caps on both sides with olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of the seasoning.
- Chop stems and stir fry with sirloin, jalapeños and onions until sirloin is no longer pink.
- Remove from heat and add remaining seasoning and cheese. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Spoon equal amounts into mushroom caps.
- Grill over medium hot coals for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are soft.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
Makes 10 to 12 appetizer servings.
- Use a spoon to scrape gills from underside of mushrooms.
- You can substitute shoulder steak, top round steak or round tip steak for the sirloin.
Recipe courtesy of Texas Beef Council.