Smoked Gouda & Vegetable Spring Rolls
You don't have to be a vegetarian to enjoy these vegetable spring rolls with smoked gouda.
1 medium zucchini, cut into match sticks (1 1/4 cup)
1 medium yellow squash, cut into match sticks (1 1/4 cup)
1 large carrot, cut into match sticks (1 cup)
1 cup shredded red cabbage
3 cups (12-ounces) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 (16-ounce) package egg roll wrappers
4 to 5 cups vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, red cabbage, cilantro and cheese.
- Place one egg roll wrapper with one corner facing you. Spoon about 1/4 cup of filling on center of wrapper. Fold bottom corner over filling. Moisten left and right corners with water; fold them toward center over filling. Moisten remaining edge with water and roll up and seal. Repeat procedure for remaining spring rolls.
- In a deep skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°F (190°C).
- Fry spring rolls several at a time until golden brown on all sides, turning once every two to three minutes. Drying on paper towels.
- Serve with jarred or pre-prepared sweet and sour sauce.
Makes 20 servings.
Prepare ahead directions: When spring rolls are filled, wrap and freeze for use with in one month, or refrigerate if using within 24 hours. Thaw frozen spring rolls completely between paper towels before frying.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the American Dairy Association.