Serve these crispy fried tofu nuggets with your favorite dipping sauce.
1 (16-ounce) package extra-firm tofu, well drained
1 large egg white
3 tablespoons wheat germ
2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Slice the tofu into 1/2-inch slices. Place between several towels and place a light book on top of them. Allow to sit for about 15 minutes. This will remove any excess liquid from the tofu. Remove from the towels and cut the slices into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites with a fork. Add the tofu and stir gently to coat the cubes completely.
- In another small bowl, mix the wheat germ, cornmeal, salt, and pepper. Mix well. To the mixture, add the tofu in small batches and toss until the tofu is coated. Place the cubes onto a lightly greased baking sheet, spaced well apart.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes, turning the tofu over every 5 minutes or so.
- Serve hot with a sauce for dipping.
Makes about 24.