Warm Mushroom Dip with Baked Pita Crisps
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council.
Warm Mushroom Dip:
2 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
1 pound fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup light sour cream
2 teaspoons dried dill weed
2 teaspoons dried paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 whole wheat pita breads
- For Warm Mushroom Dip: In large skillet melt butter over medium heat; stir in mushrooms, lemon juice, garlic and onions. Sauté until tender and the liquid given off by the mushrooms has evaporated, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to simmer; mix in sour cream, dill weed, paprika, salt and ground black pepper and simmer until slightly thickened and warm.
- Serve warm with pita crisps, multi-grain, low fat crackers or breadsticks.
- For Baked Pita Crisps: Cut 2 whole wheat pita breads in half horizontally with scissors or serrated knife. Cut each half into 8 triangles. Arrange in single layer on cookie sheet; bake in 400°F (205°C) (205°C) for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Makes 16 appetizer servings.
- Substitute 2 tablespoons fresh minced dill for the dried and garnish with fresh dill sprigs.
- For Tortilla Crisps: Substitute 4 small whole wheat flour tortillas for pitas.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): Calories: 60; Calories From Fat: 25; Total Fat: 3g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 10mg; Total Carbs: 7g; Fiber: 1g; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 3g; Sodium: 140mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Mushroom Council.