Almond Chocolate Biscotti with Glaze
Biscotti are baked twice to make them crunchy enough for dunking in your favorite hot drink. They make great gifts and ship beautifully for those long-distance friends.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup coarsely chopped blanched almonds, toasted
1 cup powdered sugar
6 teaspoons water
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl combine together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed, beat sugar and butter for 2 minutes or until creamy. Add eggs and almond extract; beat well. Reduce speed to low, gradually add flour mixture, beating just until blended; stir in almonds.
- Form dough into two 12 x 2 1/2-inch logs on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Remove from sheet; cool on wire racks 15 minutes. (Leave oven on.)
- Using serrated knife, slice each log diagonally into twelve 1-inch slices. Place, cut-sides up, on same cookie sheet. Return to oven to continue to bake for 12 to 15 minutes on each side or until cookies are crisp and edges are browned. Remove and place on wire racks before adding glaze.
- In small bowl combine powdered sugar and water until smooth. Remove biscotti to a wire rack, drizzle tops with glaze and cool completely.
Makes 24 biscotti.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.