If you love apricots, you'll love these dessert bars.
2/3 cup dried apricots
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Rinse dried apricots then cover with water. Boil for 10 minutes, drain, cool, and chop.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease an 8-inch baking pan. Mix together butter, sugar, and 1 cup flour until crumbly. Pat into the greased pan. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Sift together 1/3 cup flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Gradually mix brown sugar into beaten eggs. Add the flour mixture, vanilla, nuts, and the apricots.
- Spread over the baked layer then bake 30 minutes longer. Cool in the pan, cut into bars, and roll in powdered sugar.
Makes 16 Bars.