Apricot Oatmeal Linzer Bars
Enjoy these apricot oatmeal bars with a cup of hot tea or coffee.
2 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
2 cups ground almonds or pecans - divided use
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon powdered sugar - divided use
4 egg yolks or 2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 (18-ounce) jar apricot preserves (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup finely chopped dried apricots
2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- In medium bowl, combine oats, 1 1/2 cups ground almonds, flour and salt; mix well. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat butter and 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar until creamy. Add eggs, vanilla and almond extract; beat well. Stir in oat mixture; mix well. Reserve 1 1/3 cups; put in small bowl and set aside. Spread remaining oat mixture on bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack.
- In small bowl, combine preserves, apricots and liqueur; mix well. Spread evenly over partially baked crust. Add remaining 1/2 cup ground almonds to reserved oat mixture; mix well. Drop by 1/4 teaspoonfuls evenly over apricot mixture.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon powdered sugar. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered.
Makes 48 bars.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/48 of recipe): Calories 140, Calories from Fat 70, Total Fat 8g, Saturated Fat 3.5g, Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 100mg, Total Carbohydrates 16g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Protein 2g, Total Sugars 9g.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Quaker Oats Company.