Basic Fruit Crumb Bars
An old-fashioned crumb bar with an orange-raisin fruit filling.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/4 cups raisins
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, quick cooking oats, brown sugar and baking soda. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Remove 1/2 cup of the crumb mixture; add 1/2 cup nuts to the reserved portion and set aside. Press remainder into the bottom of an ungreased 9-inch square pan.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in raisins, grated orange juice and orange peel. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly, then spread over the crumb layer.
- Sprinkle reserved crumb/nut mixture on top and press in lightly.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until top is golden. Cool in the pan before cutting into bars.
Makes 16 bars.