Basic Lemon Bars
Lemony tart, sweet and rich -- that's the basic description of a good lemon bar and this recipe has all three going for it.
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup powdered sugar - divided use
1 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
4 large eggs
Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Mix flour and 1/2 cup powdered sugar together. Using a pastry blender or fork, mix in 1 cup butter until well-blended. Press the mixture into an ungreased 13x9x2-inch pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the filling, beat together flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon juice, and eggs.
- Pour this mixture over the hot, baked bars. Bake again for 25 minutes.
- While still hot, dust the top with 1/4 cup powdered sugar.
- Cool completely before cutting.
Makes 24 bars.