These irresistible bars feature chocolate and pecans layered between a brown sugar-oatmeal crust that topped with gooey caramel.
36 soft caramel candies
5 tablespoons evaporated milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- In a small saucepan, heat caramel candies and evaporated milk until smooth and creamy. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Combine flour, quick-cooking oatmeal, brown sugar, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl; mix in melted butter to make dough.
- Press half of the mixture into prepared pan. Bake 10 minutes. Sprinkle chocolate chips and pecans over the dough. Top with the remaining dough and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with caramel mixture, reheating as needed to obtain spreadable consistency.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours before cutting into bars.
Makes 24 bars.