Cashew Caramel Bars
These caramel and salted cashew-topped cookie bars are sure to be hit with your family and friends.
3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup chopped cashews
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons light cream (half-and-half)*
1/3 cup salted cashews chunks
2 tablespoons butter
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease 9-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and 1/2 cup chopped cashews, mixing well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs and both sugars together. Add the flour/cashew mixture to egg mixture and combine well.
- Press into the bottom of prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- While pastry bakes, mix 1/4 cup of brown sugar, cream and 1/3 cup cashews chunks into the melted butter. Spread over baked pastry and place under a broiler for about 1 minute or until topping bubbles and becomes brown. Cut into bars while warm. Let cool in pan.
Makes 16 bars
*Or substitute with evaporated milk.