Cherry Chocolate Brownies
Whole maraschino cherries and slivered almonds are baked into every bite of these chewy cocoa brownies.
1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries, well drained
1/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sweetened baking cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup chopped slivered almonds
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour 9-inch square baking pan.
- Lightly press cherries between layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- In small bowl, beat butter, sugar and eggs until creamy. Mix in corn syrup, almond extract and vanilla until well blended.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder; add to butter mixture, mixing until well blended. Stir in cherries and almonds; pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Cut into squares.
Makes 16 brownies.