Cherry Whole Grain Cereal Bars
Recipe courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.
2 cups dried tart cherries
1/2 cup tart cherry juice
1 1/4 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup SPLENDA® Sweetener & Brown Sugar Blend, packed*
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
8 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, heat cherries and juice to a simmer and cook until liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
- Place in a food processor and process until puréed.
- Remove from processor and set aside. Wash and wipe dry processor bowl and blade. Place oats, all-purpose and whole wheat flours, Splenda®, ginger and soda in a food processor and process until oats are finely ground. Pour in butter and pulse just until mixture begins to cling together. Reserve 1 1/4 cups crumb mixture for topping. Pour remaining mixture into the bottom of the baking pan and pat down firmly.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and spread puréed cherries on evenly over top of crust. Sprinkle reserved oat mixture evenly over cherry layer and pat down firmly. Return to oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until slightly golden and topping appears set. Remove from oven. Cool and cut into 12 bars.
Makes 12 bars.
*Regular brown sugar can be substituted. (Nutritional information does not reflect use of regular brown sugar.)
Note: To easily spread puréed cherries on baked crust, spoon small spoonfuls evenly on top, then spread with a wet spatula.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 121; Total Fat: 4g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 10mg; Total Carbs: 18g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 2g; Sodium: 35mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.