Chocolate Caramel Nut Bars
This just might become your 'go-to' recipe when you're in the mood for something chewy, nutty and chocolate.
1 (14-ounce) package soft caramel candies (such as Kraft Caramels)
2/3 cup (5-ounce can) evaporated milk - divided use
1 (18.25-ounce) package German chocolate cake mix with pudding in the mix
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 1/2 cups nuts, chopped - divided use
1 cup chocolate chips - divided use
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a saucepan over low heat melt caramel candies with 1/3 cup evaporated milk, stirring frequently, until caramels are melted. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In a bowl mix together cake mix, remaining 1/3 cup evaporated milk and melted butter.
- Press half the mixture into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle 1 cup nuts and 1/2 cup chocolate chips over crust, top with the caramel mixture, spreading to edges of pan. Top with the remaining cake mixture by teaspoonfuls and press gently into caramel mixture with back of spoon. Sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped nuts and 1/2 cup chocolate chip.
- Bake an additional 18 to 20 minutes. Cool. Cut into bars.
Makes 24 bars.