Chocolate Raspberry Brownie Bites with Walnuts
Don't feel guilty about indulging in these bite size brownies with crunchy walnuts because the applesauce keeps them moist without the added fat. The chocolatey taste is accented with a hint of raspberry. They freeze well and are great for take-along snacks or for a dessert tray.
1 tablespoon butter
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 large egg
1 egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped California walnuts
- In glass bowl, melt butter and chocolate in microwave, stirring once, until melted and smooth, about 1 minute.
- Stir in applesauce, jam and sugar until well blended.
- Lightly beat egg with egg white and vanilla. Stir into chocolate mixture. Gently stir in flour and walnuts.
- Use light cooking spray to grease mini muffin pan. Spoon batter into pan, filling to top.
- Bake in 350°F (175°C) oven until tester comes out clean, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let cool in pan 5 minutes; transfer to rack and cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter.
Makes 24 mini brownie bites.
Tip: For flavor variation, top with 1 cup each of chocolate chips and toffee bits.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/24 of recipe): Calories: 72; Total Fat: 3 g; Saturated Fat: 1 g; Monounsaturated Fat: 1 g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 10 mg; Sodium: 60 mg; Total Carbohydrate: 10 g; Dietary Fiber: 0 g; Protein: 1 g
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of California Walnuts.