Cinnamon Nut Bars
Cinnamon-scented nuts cover a flaky crust for an easy treat. Try them with afternoon tea or as a holiday delight.
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar - divided use
1 cup butter, chilled
3 large eggs
2 1/2 cups chopped nuts
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a bowl, mix flour with 1/2 cup sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles small peas.
- In a small bowl, beat one egg and stir into dough until well blended and smooth.
- With lightly floured hands, press and flatten dough into bottom of an ungreased jelly roll pan. Bake on bottom rack 12 to 15 minutes or until center is set.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat remaining 2 eggs. Stir in remaining cup sugar along with nuts, cinnamon and salt until well blended. Using a small, wet spatula, spread nut mixture evenly over crust. Return to oven and bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool slightly before cutting into bars. Allow to cool in pan then dust with powdered sugar.
Makes 48 bars.