Festive Cookie Bars
Festive, layered cookie bars with chocolate chips, walnuts and raisins.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup butter or margarine
2 tablespoons cold coffee or water
1 large egg yolk
2 cups (12-ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs plus 1 large egg white
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts
Powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly roll pan; set aside.
- To prepare bottom layer, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In small bowl, mix coffee and egg yolk to blend; stir into flour mixture to moisten evenly.
- Form dough into a roll. With floured fingertips, press evenly onto bottom of prepared pan. (Layer will be thin.)
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle chocolate pieces evenly over crust; return to oven 2 minutes to melt chocolate. Remove from oven; spread evenly with spatula. Allow to stand several minutes to set.
- To Prepare top layer, cream butter, sugar and vanilla in large mixing bowl. Beat in eggs and egg white, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. (Mixture will appear slightly curdled.)
- Stir in raisins and walnuts. Spread evenly over chocolate layer. Return to oven; bake 20 to 25 minutes or until top is browned.Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar, if desired. Cut into bars.
Makes 48 bars.