Fruited Liqueur Brownies
Chocolate brownies studded with dried fruits and infused with the liqueur of your choice.
1/2 cup dried fruit, chop if using larger pieces
3 tablespoons liqueur, your choice - divided use
1/2 cup butter
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped almonds
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- In a small bowl combine fruit with 2 tablespoons liqueur. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter over low heat in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat, add chocolate and stir until melted. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC). Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Add brown sugar to cooled mixture in saucepan; blend well. Whisk in eggs and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients until just blended. Stir in soaked dried fruit (undrained) along with almonds.
- Spread in prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted 2-inches from edge comes out clean.
- Poke several holes with toothpick evenly into the top of brownies. Brush with remaining 1 tablespoon liqueur. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
Makes 16 brownies.