Gluten-Free Vegan Magic Bars
"With hardly any more work than opening up that can of sweetened condensed milk, you can whip these up and make a little gluten-free, vegan magic of your own!" - TV Chef Carol Kicinski.
2 cups blanched almond flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark agave - divided use
3 tablespoons melted non-dairy butter substitute (such as Earth Balance)
¼ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
1 cup coconut milk – shake can well before measuring
2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
2 cups dairy free chocolate chips
1/2 cup maraschino cherries, drained, patted dried and quartered
1 cup sliced or slivered almonds
1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Spray a 9-inch by 12-inch baking dish with gluten-free non-stick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the almond flour with the sugar, 1/4 cup dark agave, melted non-dairy butter substitute and salt until well combined. Moisten hands with water and pat the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, remaining agave and cornstarch or arrowroot powder. Pour over the almond crust. Sprinkle the chocolate chips, cherries, almonds and coconut evenly over the top. Gently press down.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the almonds and coconut flakes are browned and toasty.
- Let cool. It is easier to cut into squares if you refrigerate for about an hour to let everything set.
- Cut into squares.
Makes 12 (3-inch) squares.
Recipe by Carol Kicinski of Simply Gluten-free www.simplygluten-free.com. Copyright © 2007-2010 Simply Gluten Free, Inc., ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Nationalcherries.com; through ECES, Inc., Electronic Color Editorial Services.