Macaroon Almond Crumb Bars
Quick and easy! A chocolate crust made with a cake mix topped with a coconut macaroon and almond filling and garnished with crumbled macaroons.
1 (18.25-ounce) package chocolate cake mix
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs - divided use
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 to 1 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cups coconut macaroon cookie crumbs (about 8 macaroons)
1 cup chopped slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, oil and 1 egg. Beat on medium speed of electric mixer until crumbly.
- Press mixture firmly on bottom of prepared baking pan.
- In medium mixing bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, remaining egg and almond extract; mix well. Add 1 cup macaroon crumbs and the almonds. Spread evenly over prepared crust.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup macaroon crumbs.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool thoroughly. Cut into bars. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
Makes 24 bars.