Magic Cookie Bars with Variations
The classic layered cookie bar everyone loves. So easy, so quick, so good!
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup (6-ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a 13x9x2-inch baking pan, melt butter in oven.
- Sprinkle crumbs over butter; pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumbs.
- Sprinkle with chips then coconut and nuts; press down firmly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Chill thoroughly, if desired. Cut into bars. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
Makes 24 bars.
- Mint Magic Bars: Combine 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract and 4 drops green food coloring (if desired) with sweetened condensed milk. Proceed as above.
- Mocha Magic Bars: Add 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules and 1 tablespoon chocolate flavored syrup with sweetened condensed milk. Proceed as above.
- Peanut Butter Magic Bars: Combine 1/3 cup peanut butter with sweetened condensed milk. Proceed as above.
- Maple Magic Bars: Combine 1/2 to 1 teaspoon maple flavoring to sweetened condensed milk. Proceed as above.
- Seven Layer Magic Cookie Bars: Add 1 cup (6-ounces) butterscotch flavored chips after chocolate chips. Proceed as above.