"This recipe is similar to Biscotti. My Jewish sister-in-law gave me this recipe. It is a bar type cookie/bread that goes great with coffee." - Submitted by Shelley of Massachusetts, USA.
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons orange juice
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup walnuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- Beat the eggs until thick and very light colored. Add the sugar gradually, beating as you add. Add the oil slowly, beating well. Add the flavorings (including the orange juice).
- Sift the dry ingredients together. Add the nuts, coconut and chocolate chips to the flour mixture. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture about a third at a time, mixing to incorporate.
- Spoon the mixture onto a well greased and lightly floured cookie sheet making 3 long thin strips of the batter.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 25 to 30 minutes or golden brown. Remove to a bread board and cut into 1/2-inch slices at once.
- This is also a good gift-giving dessert. Stores well in a tin.
Makes 36 bars.