Oatmeal Dream Dates
A dream of a cookie bar loaded with oats, dates, coconut and nuts in an orange and brown sugar base.
1 (8-ounce) package pitted dates, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups Tropicana Pure Premium® orange juice or Dole® 100% orange juice
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, chilled
2 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut - divided use
1 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In medium saucepan, combine dates and orange juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly. Stir in oats, 1 cup coconut and nuts; mix well. Reserve 4 cups oat mixture for topping.
- Press remaining oat mixture evenly onto bottom of ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Spread date mixture evenly over crust to within 1/4-inch of edges. Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup coconut, patting gently.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered.
Makes 24 bars.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Quaker Oats Company.