Sweet Potato Dessert Squares
These scrumptious layered sweet potato dessert bars are made easier by the use of a cake mix for both the crust and crumb topping.
1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 large egg, beaten
3 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes or 2 (15-ounce) cans sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
6 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Whipped cream and pecan halves (optional)
- For Crust: Set aside 1 cup of the cake mix. Combine remaining mix with butter and egg; spread into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- For Filling: Whisk filling ingredients until smooth; pour over crust.
- For topping, cut butter into reserved cake mix until crumbly. Stir in pecans, sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the filling.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 60 to 65 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool.
- Garnish with whipped cream and pecan halves if desired.
Makes 16 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.