Easy chocolate glazed, toffee-flavored cookie bars with a crunchy, nutty oatmeal crust.
8 tablespoons butter or margarine - divided use
1 cup quick-cooking or old fashioned oats, uncooked
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup ground or finely chopped walnuts
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup (6-ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In medium saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons butter; stir in oats, sugar, flour, nuts and baking soda.
- Press mixture firmly onto bottom of prepared baking pan; bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, combine remaining 2 tablespoons butter and sweetened condensed milk. Over medium heat, cook and stir until mixture thickens slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour over baked crust. Return to oven; bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Let stand 1 to 2 minutes to soften chips; spread while still warm. Cool to room temperature and then chill thoroughly. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered at room temperature.
Makes 24 bars.