Tender chunks of beef in a well-seasoned beef and mushroom sour cream sauce, served over hot cooked noodles or rice.
2 pounds beef tenderloin tips or boneless sirloin steak, cut into strips
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 cups beef broth* - divided use
1/4 cup butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced**
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt (or to taste)
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley leaves
1 (16-ounce) container sour cream (2 cups)
Parsley sprigs and paprika for garnish (optional)
Hot cooked noodles or rice
- Trim any excess fat from beef and cut into 1 1/2 to 2 inch lengths, about 1-inch in width. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large skillet heat the oil until hot over medium-high heat; add prepared beef and cook until browned, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of the beef broth, bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until beef is tender. Remove beef/broth mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Melt butter in the same skillet; add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion has softened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until softened. Add the flour, stirring constantly and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the remaining 1 cup beef broth, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, paprika and parsley. Return beef/broth mixture to skillet; bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the sour cream and heat just until hot; do not boil. Remove from heat.
- Serve over hot cooked noodles or rice, garnish with parsley sprigs and a sprinkling of paprika, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use canned or dissolve 2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons beef base or bouillon granules in 2 cups of water.
**1 (4-ounce) can mushrooms, drained can be substituted.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 444.4 calories; 69% calories from fat; 34.1g total fat; 117.3mg cholesterol; 706.8mg sodium; 526.5mg potassium; 7.3g carbohydrates; 0.7g fiber; 1.3g sugar; 6.6g net carbs; 27.0g protein.