Lengua En Salsa De Tomate Y Rajas
(Braised Beef Tongue)
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 beef tongue (about 3 1/2 pounds)
2 large onions - divided use
4 cloves garlic - divided use
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes, chopped
3 large roasted poblano peppers, peeled, seeded, cut into thin strips
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Chop 1 onion and mince 2 cloves garlic; set aside. Cut remaining onion into quarters. Peel remaining 2 cloves garlic; leave whole.
- Place beef tongue, onion quarters and whole cloves garlic in stockpot. Add enough water to cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 3 to 4 hour or until tongue is fork to tender.
- Remove tongue; cool slightly. Remove and discard skin from tongue; cut away roots. Carve tongue diagonally across the grain into 1/2-inch slices. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add chopped onion; cook and stir 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add minced garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, poblano peppers, salt, thyme, oregano and black pepper; cook and stir 8 to 10 minutes or until tomatoes are softened.
- Add sliced tongue; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes to blend flavors.
Makes 6 servings.
Tip: To roast peppers, arrange on large sheet of aluminum foil. Place on broiler rack so surface of peppers is 3 to 4-inches from heat. Broil 12 to 15 minutes or until skin is blackened, turning frequently. Fold aluminum foil over peppers to enclose. Let stand 5 minutes to loosen skins.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 279; Total Fat: 19g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 94mg; Total Carbs: 12g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 16g; Sodium: 444mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.