Chicken-Fried Steak with Gravy
Chicken-fried steak with gravy is one of the classic comfort foods. Serve with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable to complete the meal.
2 pounds round steak, trimmed of fat
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
2 tablespoons reserved pan drippings
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups 2 % milk, warmed
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- For Steak: Cut steak into serving pieces. Tenderize and pound to 1/4-inch thickness with mallet.
- Place buttermilk in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Combine flour, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper in a bag (or shallow bowl), mixing well. Add the steak and shake well to coat evenly. Remove steak, shaking off excess flour. Dip steak into buttermilk, coating both sides, allow excess to drip off. Place back into flour mixture, tossing to coat well. Remove from flour mixture, shake excess off and chill for 15 minutes before frying.
- Heat 1/4 to 1/2-inch oil to medium-high heat in large frying pan. Fry until brown on both sides. Set aside and keep warm while gravy is prepared.
- For Gravy: Heat dripping in frying pan and melt the butter. Add flour, cook and stir for 1 minute. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until thickened. Season to taste with the salt and pepper. Serve spooned over the steak.
Makes 8 servings.
Tip: If thinner gravy is desired add more milk, for thicker gravy, add less milk.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe; includes gravy): 509.5 calories; 58% calories from fat; 32.9g total fat; 101.9mg cholesterol; 368.1mg sodium; 508.8mg potassium; 25.4g carbohydrates; 0.8g fiber; 4.7g sugar; 24.6g net carbs; 26.1g protein.