Filet Mignon with Mushroom-Marsala Sauce
A special occasion entrée, rich and tender filet mignon pan-grilled and served with a mushroom marsala sauce.
4 (6-ounce) filets mignon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups sliced mushrooms
3/4 cup Marsala wine
1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
1 tablespoon butter
- Trim filets of excess fat and season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a large, heavy skillet melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the filets and cook for approximately 4 minutes on each side, or until desired doneness. Remove filets from the skillet and keep warm.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the skillet and sauté for approximately 1 minute.
- Deglaze the pan with the Marsala wine. After 30 seconds, add the Balsamic vinegar and heat until the liquid is reduced by half. Remove from heat and add the green onion slices. Stir in 1 tablespoon of butter. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Ladle sauce over filet mignons and serve.
Makes 4 servings.