Grilled Teriyaki Steak Kabobs
There's just something festive about cooking meat and vegetables on a stick!
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Juice of 1 fresh lemon (3 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon brown sugar, firmly packed
2 to 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 1/2 pounds tri-tip steak, 1-inch thick; cut into 1-inch cubes
1 fresh pineapple cut into 1 to 1 1/2-inch chunks*
1 large red or white onion, quartered
4 medium bell peppers (use a variety of colors for a nice presentation), cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 pound whole fresh mushrooms
2 medium zucchini, sliced into 1-inch rounds
12 (10 to 12-inch) wooden bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 10 minutes
Hot cooked long grain rice for accompaniment (optional)
- For Marinade: In large zipper-lock style plastic bag, or a shallow glass dish, combine the pineapple juice, soy sauce, oil, lemon juice, brown sugar and garlic. Mix well.
- Place steak cubes in marinade and allow to marinate at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours or for several hours in the refrigerator, turning the bag over occasionally to ensure meat is evenly marinated.
- Remove steak cubes from marinade; reserve marinade.
- To assemble kabobs, alternately thread the meat, pineapple and vegetables onto the water-soaked bamboo skewers.
- Grill kabobs over medium-hot heat, about 8 to 10 minutes on each side for medium-well or until desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, bring the reserved marinade to a boil in a small saucepan and simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes, strain and brush over kabobs just before removing from grill.
- Serve kabobs on a bed of hot fluffy long grain rice, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
*1 (20-ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice can be substiuted for the fresh pineapple and the pineapple juice.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): 226.2 calories; 33% calories from fat; 8.1g total fat; 62.4mg cholesterol; 357.5mg sodium; 625.3mg potassium; 16.7g carbohydrates; 2.1g fiber; 11.6g sugar; 14.6g net carbs; 22.4g protein.