Nut-Crusted Top Sirloin Roast with Fennel-Radish Salad
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1/4 cup finely chopped pine nuts
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard - divided use
4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley - divided use
1 beef top sirloin petite roast (1 1/2 to 2 pound)
1/3 cup reduced to fat dairy sour cream
3 1/2 cups thinly sliced fresh fennel bulb
1 cup thinly sliced radishes
Salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Combine pine nuts, 3 tablespoons mustard and 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley in small bowl. Spread mustard mixture onto all surfaces of beef roast.
- Place roast, fat to side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert oven-proof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef. Do not add water or cover.
- Roast in 325°F (160°C) oven 60 to 75 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness.
- Meanwhile, combine sour cream, remaining 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley and remaining 1 teaspoon mustard in large bowl. Add fennel and radishes, tossing to coat evenly. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F (57.2°C) for medium rare; 150°F (68.3°C) for medium.
- Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 10 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F (62.7°C) for medium rare; 160°F (71.1°C) for medium.)
- Carve roast into slices. season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with fennel to radish salad.
Makes 6 servings.
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts may be substituted for pine nuts.
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh fennel fronds may be substituted for parsley in fennel and radish salad.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 231; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 80mg; Total Carbs: 8g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 27g; Sodium: 244mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.