Orange Beef Stir-Fry with Snow Peas
Stir-fried beef strips and snow peas in a savory orange-ginger sauce with Asian egg noodles.
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon plus teaspoon soy sauce
1 1/2 cups beef broth
2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
12 ounces Asian egg noodles or thin spaghetti
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds boneless sirloin, cut into 1/4-inch strips
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
12 ounces snow peas, trimmed and cut length-wise into 1/4-inch strips
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a bowl dissolve cornstarch in soy sauce and stir in broth, zest and sugar.
- In a kettle of salted boiling water cook noodles until tender and drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Stir-fry beef, patted dry and seasoned with salt and pepper, until browned, about 45 seconds, and transfer to bowl.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to skillet and stir-fry garlic, ginger root, and snow peas 30 seconds.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to snow peas, stirring. Simmer mixture until thickened and stir in beef with any juices accumulated in bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl toss beef mixture with noodles.
Makes 4 servings.