Pepper Steak Oriental
Stir-fried beef with green peppers, mushrooms, green onions and tomato wedges in an Asian sauce.
1 1/2 pounds boneless beef round tip, cut in 1/2-inch slices
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil - divided use
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup beef broth
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium green pepper, sliced
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
6 green onions with tops, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
2 medium tomatoes, cut in wedges
Cooked rice for accompaniment
- Partially freeze beef slices, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch strips.
- In large bowl combine soy sauce, 1 tablespoon oil and pepper; add beef. Toss to coat well. Let stand several hours in refrigerator; drain beef, reserving marinade.
- Combine reserved marinade, beef broth and cornstarch; set aside.
- In large skillet heat ginger and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil; add beef and stir-fry until beef is browned, about 4 minutes. Remove beef with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add green pepper, mushrooms and onions to skillet. Cook and stir until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Return beef to skillet. Pour marinade mixture over beef mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in tomato wedges.
- Serve over a bed of cooked rice.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.