Pepper Herb-Crusted Beef Tenderloin
This cracked pepper, herb-crusted whole beef tenderloin is an elegant entrée perfect for any holiday or special occasion dinner.
1 well-trimmed whole beef tenderloin roast (4 to 5 pounds)
2 teaspoons cracked mixed peppercorns
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crushed
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Combine seasoning ingredients; press evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so it is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover.
- Roast 50 to 60 minutes for medium rare; 60 to 70 minutes for medium doneness.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F (60°C) for medium rare; 160°F (70°C) for medium.)
- Carve roast into thick slices; season with salt, as desired.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: (1/8 of recipe), using tenderloin: 381 calories; 47 g protein; 1 g carbohydrate; 20 g fat; 104 mg sodium; 141 mg cholesterol; 5.8 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 4.6 mcg vitamin B12; 6.6 mg iron; 8.2 mg zinc.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the Beef Industry Council.