Real Prize-Winning Chili
Okay, I admit it—my recipe only won 3rd prize in a Chili Cook-Off contest—none the less, this is one excellent bowl of red. It was my first and last time to enter such a competition. (My booth did win 1st place for its design!)
1/3 cup Gebhardt brand chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons basil leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin powder
1 teaspoon dried cilantro leaves
1 bay leaf
2 pounds top round or stewing beef, coarsely chopped into 1/4 to 1/2-inch dice
1 large yellow onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (7-ounce) can diced green chiles
1 teaspoon brown sugar, firmly packed
2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 (12-ounce) bottle or can lager beer
- In small bowl mix chili powder, oregano, basil, cumin,cilantro and bay leaf. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large cooking pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the beef and cook until nicely browned.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until onion is softened.
- Add the spice mixture and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Immediately stir in the canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chiles, brown sugar, salt, pepper, vinegar, Tabasco sauce and the beer.
- Bring chili to a boil; cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 3 to 4 hours, removing lid last 30 minutes of cooking time to thicken chili, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Serving Suggestion: Serve this bowl of red with warm cornbread.
Tip: Substitute 2 pounds of chili grind (or regular grind) ground beef, if desired. Drain excess fat after browning meat and before adding spice mixture.
Hope's Note: Devout chili aficionados claim that a "true chili" does not contain beans. If you prefer your chili with beans, then add a can or two of any style beans (kidney black, red, or pinto), drained and rinsed, at the end of the cooking time.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 218.1 calories; 29% calories from fat; 7.3g total fat; 64.6mg cholesterol; 628.3mg sodium; 624.5mg potassium; 8.2g carbohydrates; 2.3g fiber; 1.8g sugar; 5.8g net carbs; 27.2g protein.