Samba Steak Stir-Fry
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
Pico de Gallo:
3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped white onion
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons minced jalapeño pepper
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Salt to taste
1 pound round tip steaks, cut 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick
3 teaspoons vegetable oil - divided use
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced bell pepper, any color
1/2 medium white onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
1 medium jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
8 (6-inch) whole wheat tortillas, warmed
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground chipotle chile pepper
- Prepare Pico de Gallo: Combine tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeño pepper and lime juice in medium bowl. Season with salt to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Stack beef steaks; cut lengthwise in half and then crosswise into 1-inch wide strips. Combine beef and rub ingredients in large bowl; toss to coat evenly.
- Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add bell pepper, onion and jalapeño; stir-fry 5 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove from skillet; keep warm.
- Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in same skillet until hot. Add half of beef; stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until outside surface is no longer pink. (Do not overcook.) Remove from skillet; keep warm. repeat with remaining 1 teaspoon vegetable oil and beef.
- Return all beef and vegetables to skillet. Season with salt, as desired. Serve beef mixture in tortillas; top with Pico de Gallo.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 510; Total Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 75mg; Total Carbs: 61g; Fiber: 9g; Protein: 37g; Sodium: 686mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.