Sesame-Soy Steak Stir-Fry in Wonton Cups
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1 cup diced seedless cucumber
Toasted Sesame Seeds:
1/4 cup white sesame seeds
1 1/2 pounds Flat Iron or beef shoulder blade steak
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil
12 frozen wonton wrappers, thawed
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips (optional)
- For Marinated Cucumbers: Whisk together sugar and vinegar in medium bowl until sugar is dissolved. Stir in cucumbers; place mixture in food to safe plastic bag. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 1 hour. Drain cucumbers in large colander; discard marinade. (Makes 1 cup)
- For Toasted Sesame Seeds: Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add sesame seeds. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until seeds are lightly toasted and golden. Set aside until ready to use.
- Cut beef steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch strips; set aside.
- For Sesame-Soy Marinade: Combine ingredients in medium bowl. Place beef strips and marinade in food to safe plastic bag; toss to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat 1/2 cup oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Fry 3 wonton wrappers 15 seconds per side or until crispy; drain on paper towels. repeat with remaining wonton wrappers.
- Remove beef strips from marinade; discard marinade.
- Heat pan over medium heat until hot. Add 1/2 of beef; stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. (Do not overcook.) Repeat with remaining beef.
- To Serve: Evenly divide beef strips over wonton crisps; top beef with 1 tablespoon Marinated Cucumbers and 1/2 teaspoon Toasted Sesame Seeds. Garnish plate with red bell pepper strips, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 178; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 26mg; Total Carbs: 7g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 13g; Sodium: 230mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.